Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bad Hair Days!

I always like to start the year with a review of lines. Every grade level does a project that reintroduces all the different ways to make lines. By 4th and 5th grade, we are ready to turn those lines into something really amazing! These projects are partially inspired by the many "zentangle" lessons out there, but I don't actually teach the zentangle method. I have the students start with a line pattern and then fill it with doodles. We focused on contrast-making some areas dark, and some light. I love when I look around the room and tongues are hanging out. That's how you KNOW the kids are concentrating!

 We started this project by taking a digital picture of each student, then cutting off the hair and attaching it to a piece of cardboard. These long pieces of poster board were donated to my classroom last year, so we put them to good use! The kids used eraser and pencil to plan the shape of their hair, then used thick and thin sharpies to divide into sections and create the patterns. We used colored markers to create the background and help the line designs stand out.




4th/5th Grade Bad Hair Days
 You guys, my students are amazing. They seriously impress me and surprise me every day. We began this project in art class, and I sent them to their classroom with the expectation that they would finish their black and white patterns on their own in their classroom. Not only did they finish them, but they came back BRILLIANT! We finished the marker background today in the art room.


5 comments:

  1. Very cute and fun. I love it! Rose in Jax, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I'm going to use this in my class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a really cool idea i'm not a teacher but i am a mother and have many nieces and nephews as well as cousins i an going to share is idea with thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I'm going to use this in my class this year!

    ReplyDelete